Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How do I create my Sound?

Hello everybody

I might not be the best guitarist in the world, I'm sure I'm not, but I want to give something back to the community of all the stuff I learned about playing the guitar and creating a good Sound.

My favored music style during the last few years was the Blues. So after I learned the whole Blues-Pentatonic and studied the different styles of my favorite players, I was more and more interested in creating my own Sound. Not that I'm finished with this task today, but I think that I am on a good way.

At home and at small gigs in tiny bars and pups I play over a modified cheap GA5 copy from the German online retailer Thomann. This was a really great investment, because for about €89 you receive a great platform which can be modded into a acceptable amplifier. I used the instructions from historiclespauls.com.

For overdrive and distortion I only use stompboxes, the amp is set clean. As you maybe recognized, I only play with little amounts of distortion. I love to play with the volume pot on my guitar, I love the dynamics which I'm able to receive. Going from clean to overdrive only with the volume pot of the guitar, that is what I always try to reach.

The Overdrive Pedals I use are the standard ones I would say. I'm using clones of a Mi Audio Crunchbox, Tubescreamer TS9 and a Zendrive. Always set with as less distortion as possible, but as much distortion as needed.

Behind the overdrive stompboxes I have a compressor and a boost pedal. The compressor is set about 1/3 of the possible compression and the booster is about a quarter. So I don't want that the dynamics are to much reduced by compression and the booster just has to increase the volume to bring the amp to its optimal working levels.

So let me say, I am really convinced that good sound is not a matter of money. You have to know what you want to reach, than you have to try as much equipment as possible and after a long journey through guitarist wonderland, you will achieve a sound that you like.

Happy New Year

Toneburner

No comments:

Post a Comment