Monday, August 9, 2010

Review: Dunlop MXR M-117 Flanger

So, it was time for a new stompbox. First, I tried to build a flanger by myself, but all my attempts were in vain. So I decided to do a little research in my local music store to find a flanger which could fulfill my needs and wishes.

I tried Paul Gilbert's Ibanez Airplane Flanger, which I really liked in the taxi mode but wasn't able to find any reasonable way to implement the take-off mode into my playing.

The second flanger I tried was the MXR M-117 Flanger and this little stompbox broke my heart by storm. First this pedal very silent! I would not say that I'm a huge fan of Van Halen, but with this pedal you have a essential tool on your board to reach his sound. As I'm more the Blues to Hard Rock player, it was very important for that the MXR Flanger is able to produce a subtle flange tone, which the MXR is able to do. Also a chorus like Sound is possible.

But where there is light, there is always also a shadow. The pedal requires a separate  power supply with 18V, of course you can use also two 9v battery packs, but who wants to change every two weeks the battery, just because he forgot to turn out the jack?

Me not!

8/10 points!

No comments:

Post a Comment